Here's the playable characters that appeared in every version of Giana Family:
Giana Family have two difficulty levels on single-player mode . A Beautiful Day for normal difficulty and Day Dreaming for hard difficulty. It also have playable battle levels for multiplayer game mode:
- A Beautiful Day
- Afternoon Adventure
- Evening's Expedition
- Sunset Surprise
- Frozen Deams
- Volcanic Maze
- Day Dreaming
- It's Getting Darker
- Too Foggy To Awake
- Below The Castle
- Castle Of Irreality
- Waves Of Awakening
- Arcade Action
- Cave Fortress
- Cave Of Illusions
- Dyna Blaster
- Family Showdown
- Flood Zone
- Frozen Lake
- Infernal Cave
- Maya's World
- Midwinter Mayhem
- Night Fever
- Sweet Home Havoc
- Underwater Base
Here's the power-ups that can be collected in the game:
Fire Wheel (called as "Punker Ball" instead)Edit
- You can bash away some blocks by hitting them with the head from below. Some blocks are diamond sources, you can bash them to increase your diamonds/health, others hold extras or rocks.
- Shot with little bubbles.
- More damage than the lightning shot, but slower repeat count. The bubbles reflect on solid objects.
- More damage than the double-lightning shot, but slower repeat count. The bubbles aim on the nearest enemy and chase him.
- Hold down the special key/button for 4 seconds (you can't move). Then all other objects are frozen for the next 4 seconds.
- Hold down the special key/button for 4 seconds (you can't move). The bomb then inflicts damage to all enemies in range.
- Grants total protection of fires and lava damage. You can swim in the flood while pressing the jump key/button.
- Grants invulnerability for 20 seconds, but ends invisibility.
- Giana morphes into a killer bee, until touching any solid. Damages players by flying against them, but can be smashed from above. You can neither pick up anything, while a bee, nor use any weapons. Ends Invisibility.
- Grants invisibility for 30 seconds, but ends invulnerability.
- Allows you to see in the darkness.
- You can throw snowballs. The longer you keep the fire-key pressed before release, the faster the snowball will fly. By pressing jump/left/right while holding fire you can adjust the throwing angle of all following snowballs.
- This shot can be thrown like the snowball but inflicts area damage. The longer you keep the fire-key pressed before release, the faster the dream-grenade will fly. By pressing jump/left/right while holding fire you can adjust the throwing angle of all following dream-grenades.
- The mirror will replace your clock or bomb extra. While holding down the special key/button (you can't move) you will reflect enemy shots back, eventually even hurting the owner. This doesn't work on snowballs and dream grenades though.
From the official site in 2005 :
"Do you remember the great old game on C64's times called "Giana-Sisters"? Now it's time to change everything about it! This version brings to you a new feeling of network-gaming...
Deathmatch with up to 16 players in LAN's or throughout the internet and you´ll see that this tiny game will bring you real satisfaction in shooting up enemy players.
Giana Family v1.4 has been released after 5 years and allows you to play a single player campaign as well as new multiplayer modes: Capture the Flag, Domination & Diamond Fever."
In 1999, Andreas Kahn released a "SuperMario" patch for the game by also including new musics. And in the same time, Giana Family 1.30 was out with new features (which these features appeare also in 1.48). Sadly, we can't download anything in the site. The site contain a custom levels page from other users and another page called "What's new", this page is a kind of changelog of Giana Family version updates.
External Links Edit
Download 1.20 : http://www.old-games.com/download/2207/giana-family
Download 1.48 : http://www.chip.de/downloads/Giana-Family_12999140.html
Official site (archive.org) : https://web.archive.org/web/20050427082605/http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de:80/users/a_kahn/
Official forum (archive.org) : https://web.archive.org/web/20050424030432/http://forum.asiaco.com:80/gianafamily/